Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Early Years!

I can remember watching black and white tv. I was 6 years old or so when JFK was shot....we watched it all unfold on a little 19 inch black and white. ... When we got our first Color TV it was a magical moment. Of course we only had 3 channels to choose from, totally inhumane, I know. Now even the hand held movies on our phones are in all kinds of shades of color and picking up a channel from Russia or Iraq is an every day occurance. Life does progress even though on a day to day measure we feel like we are standing still. Then you hit 50 and realize you have sped ahead 44 years and can still feel the wind from the flash forward blowing your hair back. Life does leave you with faint flashes tho like...Dancing to my last dance of the 8th grade w/Curt Stewart (The last dance was always Hey Jude, because it lasted the longest of all the songs back then), Swimming at Morning Side. Pool lights lit..in the dark of night..a.cute blond haired boy...kisses in the deep end. Oh, we were sooo hot, and soooo young, we only kissed...little did we know then there could have been so much more. Innocence can be so over rated. But a nice memory none the less. Only my 50 year old mind thinks of what could have been. Hummmm. High School: I never went to any proms, which i do kind of regret. But, the girls I hung out with on Prom Night ie., got drunk with, were a blast. PS... Throwing beer cans under the car after we out ran the police was and ingenious idea Lisa H. Ya wild times. Warning: Don't try this today kids. You wount get away with it. Times were alot simplier and things were alot easier to get away with back then...today you'd be in jail right next to your folks who would be up on charges for being "The Worlds Worst Parents"! Funny thing is, they never blamed the parents back then. I dont know what they were thinking, holding us all accountable for our OWN actions! Then came.... Bell bottom pants, Disco, Rented apartments w/girlfriends, and OHHH the Urban Cowboy craze...it really was a craze! All the boys wore Cowboy hats and boots so they would all look authentic riding the mechanical BULL. They were oh so serious about it too...who could hold on the longest. I beat them all on July 23, 1978 my 23rd Birthday. I rode it for the full time without falling off, my long blonde hair wipin around and I had my arm up in the air just like I'd been ridin my whole life. Actually it was only my second time :-). I even got my picture in the Columbus Dispatch newspaper... right next to, you guessed it, a boy in cowboy boots and a stetson. I continued to Work and Play thru my young 20's... I finished Ohio State School of Cosmetology and worked putting on artifical nails on the Ohio State University campus for a year. By the way, it wasnt like today where ppl love their acrylics. I got dirty looks from college bound hippy wanna be's who proclaimed me to be a spone of satan or a capitalist cop-out. Depending on their major. Wow, it was a different time. Then one fateful night we went to the Agora. My friend K and I walked into the smoke filled room. It was a performance hall on the Ohio State Campus, so there was a stage at one end and tables set around on the floor below. Actually in later years saw Peter Frampton perform there. I know you dont know who that is...So do the 21st century thing and Google Him. Anyways at a round table seated with all of his friends was "Bear" and the Middle Years began.

1 comment: