Saturday, September 3, 2011

9/11/11 Ten Years Later!

As the time for 9/11 draws near Im asked by every newspaper and general interest poll...Where were you the day those plans hit the twin towers?

Well I have snippits of that day in my head. I arrived at my work .... South Davis Community Hospital I was a receptionist there while attending Utah College of Massage Therapy. I thought the World was about to be at war when I heard the report of that first plan hitting Tower #1.. I grabbed the phone on the reception desk and called both my children who where in school at that time...I asked the girl who answered the phone to get them out of class, so I could tell them I loved them one last time!!

After talking to them I stayed at work? I cant believe I did that considering the end of the world was at hand....What if it really had been the end? Would I have really manned my post till the big bang blew me out of that swivel chair I was attached too???? We'll never know that for sure...

All day long everyone was frantic and near panic...The phones rang constantly with ppl trying to get ahold of their loved ones in the hospital. The one thing I do remember is everyone stayed at work. I look back on that now and all I can say is America is a strong country for many reasons one of them being our WorkForce. And, on that day most everyone trusted in the strength of our Government to protect us and stop the attacks.

I went home that evening and spent time with my kids and their friends. We pretty much stayed close to new flashes on the tv. Watching the towers fall again and again. One of my kids friends just happen to have his Birthday on that fateful day. I remember driving him home that night and while he was sad for all the ppl that were lost, the bulk of his conversation that night was about how mad he was that his Birthday would now forever be defined by this tragedy.

So I guess what I do remember most about that terrible day... is that I realized how differently each person see's and is affected by any given event. For me I thought I'd never see my kids again... for him his special day marred from that day forward.... For the families who called to talk to their loved ones thats all that mattered. And to the Families that lost loved ones in the Towers it must have felt like the REAL end of the World.

1 comment:

  1. Very strange day.. I only remember parts of school that day.. Being pulled out of class.. watching the news in every class.. And just listening to the news in gym while we did nothing because my gym teachers husband was flying out of new York that morning and the phones were so jammed she hadn't heard from him yet..

    ReplyDelete